Wednesday, June 24, 2009

High Tea

A couple of weeks ago, I had my first bridal shower. it was a wonderful tea party hosted by D's aunts complete with little finger sandwiches and big hats. I have been meaning to write this post for a while, but life has got in the way too many times.

For me, the shower was a weekend long event because my bestest friend J came to visit all weekend! The festivities started on Friday when I picked her up at the train station and we went shopping for our weekend project, a bird mobile. We headed over to Len's Mill Store and bought a bunch of retro cool fabrics to create our little birdies. Once home we ordered pizza, watched movies, and started sewing.

Saturday morning we went to the Farmers Market with my friend T and ate dumplings for breakfast and enjoyed the hustle and bustle and sunshine of a local Farmers Market. In addition to our bird mobile, we had another mission we had to complete before the shower. We needed a hat, because who has a hat fit for a fancy tea party hanging around any more??

Value Village was our first stop to try and find cheap big fancy hats. They had nothing. But they did have the Fisher Price Roller Skates that J and I used to have as kids, and believe it or not, I could still get my feet in them! It was, albeit, very tight and once my feet got too sore from skating around the store, we headed for Wal-Mart where I had previously seen hats for under $10. Sure enough, we found a couple of big floppy hats that were on budget - Mission accomplished! Back home to make more birds!

Sunday was the shower, it was so nice to be surrounded by the people closest to me and my new family and to be welcomed in so warmly. The food that one of the aunts prepared with her neighbour (a complete stranger to me) was fantastic! And there was sooo much of it with so may choices. I didn't get to try one of everything, but I'm sure all of it was just as wonderful as what I did try.

There were fun games and prizes, and the gifts that I received were wonderful. I have already put most of them to use, however, the lingerie will have to wait until after the wedding right??

When I got home from the shower, I pulled up to the house and called in for D to help me unload the car. No Answer. I could hear the TV on in the bedroom which meant that he was watching it from in bed instead of on the couch. Generally, that's an indication that he is not feeling well or is in pain. So, since the car was parked on the street, I unloaded it before going up to check on him. When I got upstairs, he was indeed in a lot of pain.

I have to say that the best gift of the day was not wrapped in paper, and it did not have a bow. It was a hand made card from D's cousin's daughter.

Weddings are when a
princess falls in love with
a prince and gets married
Everybody is happy to
see you get married.
True loves forever.
Have a good wedding.

The true gift of that card was when I showed it to D, and through all of the pain, he smiled and said it made his day.

No comments:

Post a Comment