Friday, November 20, 2009

Taking the first steps

So far in trying to prepare my self for the ultimate physical challenge of growing another human inside me I have started exercising on the treadmill, taking prenatal vitamins, charting, and I've read "The Mother of All Pregnancy Books". I've also been doing online reading at various blogs and other health resources like iparenting and webmd.

The one thing that many of these reqources have told be was to book a 'preconception' appointment with my physician. Everyone who reccommended this appointment had also been sure to mention that until recently, any Dr. would have looked at you like you had 6 heads if you had requested this type of visit, but that now it was the norm. I was a little skeptical to call and request a 'preconception' appointment, so I wasglad that I was over due for my annual physical. I figured that during that visit I could mention that we are planning a family and if he had any concerns they would be brought up then.

So that is exactly what I did, on Wednesday I went to the Dr's for my annual physical and PAP (tmi?). Anyways, we went over mine and family's medical histories and current midications and finally he asked if there was anything new that was concerning me.

"Well, in the new year, my husband and I would like to start trying to have a baby."

"What do you want from me? To tell you how it's done?"

So aparently it's not so common for people to go to their Dr. with only plans to become pregnant! The only advice he had for me was to start taking prenatals, which I have already started. I did convince him to run a check on my vaccinations just in case, so I guess something was accomplished during the visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment