Thursday, November 19, 2009

When I grow up

While planning my wedding I signed up for a multitude of different wedding planning websites, most of which were very helpful. I really liked one in particular because it was a Canadian site and it had a forum. Even though I didn't post much on the forum, see other people ask questions and the responses they were getting was really useful. The one problem I had with this site is that most of the active topics were about life after marriage, but now, I am following this forum even more than ever. When I am bored at work I find my self refreshing that page over and over and reading all of the wonderful experiences that other wives/mothers are going through. Most of the time, the topics hover around babies/toddlers/pregnancy, but every once in a while someone asks a question that really makes me stop and think. Today that question was "Do you really love what you do?"

D has been asking me quite a lot lately if I enjoy my work, because he feels guilty that his changing career paths has forced me to stay at this job for the health benefits and stability. I always answer him "I don't hate it, it will get me through until we have our family started". But today I find my self asking if that is enough.

Right now I have a job. Just a job. It is not a career. I am not challenged by it at all. There have been too many days where I only do about one hours worth of work and have to make up what I've done for the other 7 hours. For about one week out of the month I am busy for all 8 hrs, and I think there have only been a handful of days where my list of things to do has had to carry over to the next day. I enjoy working for this company, the people here are wonderful - a HUGE change from my last 2 jobs where my immediate supervisors had severe anger management issues. So in that sense, yes, I do enjoy my job.

But that question got me thinking... what DO I want to be when I grow up?

The long and short answer is... I have no freaking clue!

No comments:

Post a Comment