Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Not So Wise

I'm not so sure as I used to be
That I am so very wise.
When I was just twenty-two or three
I'd a brain of a mammoth size.
I knew 'most all that there was to know,
And carried a bulging brow,
But I've found that a lot of it was just not so,
And I'm not so learned now.

I'm not so sure that I'm always right,
As I used to be back then.
I'm not so keen, as I was, to slight
The wisdom of other men.
Oh, I used to think that I knew it all
And got into many a row,
But I've found that most of my brain was gall
And I'm not so learned now.

I'm not so sure that I know what's what,
And I'm no so quick to sneer,
For I've found of wisdom there is a lot
That isn't exactly clear.
And many things that I thought I knew
I've had to unlearn, somehow;
And I'm sometimes puzzled just what to do
For I'm not so learned now.

By Edgar A. Guest

No comments:

Post a Comment