Monday, November 21, 2011

Q & A

1. How big is my septum? 
    7mm.  Dr. M assures me this is actually quite shallow as septums are concerned.

2. Will you be able to remove it all with one surgery? 
    Absolutely

3. What is the difference between a septum and a bicornuate uterus? 
    The outside of the uterus is dipped along with the uterus in a bicornuate uterus.  

4. Is there a difference in treatment?  
    Surgery is not performed on a bicornuate uterus.

5. How do you know it's a septum and not bicornuate?  
    According to the 3D ultrasound done during the hysterosalpingram, my uterus appears normal from the outside.

6. Will you do an HSG at the same time? 
    No need, we will be doing a LAP

7. Will I see you before/after the surgery? 
    Yes, but I likely won't remember seeing him after due to the drugs.  He will bring D in and tell him everything.  Hopefully my mom too because she will be more likely to remember what he says. 

8. How long can D stay with me before the surgery? 
    This question didn't really get answered.

9. Does it matter when in my cycle the surgery is done?  
    No

10. Is there any potential that I will lose a tube or that the tubes become blocked because of the surgery?
     Definitely not!

11. What can I expect in terms of recovery? 
     I will be very groggy from the anesthesia, and maybe nauseous as well.  The nurses in recovery will give me something for the nausea. After that  I may have some abdominal tenderness "like a bruise" at the incision sites.  The incisions will be so small that they don't even require a stitch, only 5mm. I may experience some pain from the gas the insert into my abdomen to expand it so he can see.  They will try to remove as much as possible, but the gas can travel up to my shoulders and cause pain.

12. What pain killers will I be given?  
     Naproxen and Tylenol 3

13. How long will I be off work? 
     Friday.  He thinks I should be better after 1 or 2 days... I'm not so sure.

14. Will I have a balloon inserted? How long will it be there?  
     No, not for a septum as shallow as mine.

15.  Will I need to be on estrogen or progesterone after?  
     No, not for a septum as shallow as mine.

16. When will we be able to start to TTC?  
     After one complete cycle. I will likely have a period within 10 days of the surgery, and because it's so soon, he wants us to wait one full cycle after that. So, January.

17. Will any pregnancy I have after this be automatically considered high risk?  
     I didn't ask this question... I was nervous and skimming down this list.

18. What are the risks during pregnancy as a result of the surgery?  
     Same as the last question.

19. What will my first cycle after surgery be like?  
     Very heavy.  I usually have a few days of spotting before AF arrives, but he said it will likely begin suddenly and very heavy, with no warning spotting.

20. Will we do any drug treatments right away?  
     Yes, we will continue with the Femara.

21. How any timed cycles will we do before moving to IUI?  
     I didn't ask, I'm still holding out hope that I won't have to.

22. Is it possible to build up a resistance to Femara? It worked great in cycle 1, then cycle 2 was long and no ovidrel, cycle 3 was upped to 5mg and was short, cycle 4 is also at 5mg and was long. 
     I didn't ask, I chickened out.

23. From the research I've done, septum's are often associated with recurrent losses, since I have never had a pregnancy or a loss, what are my chances that this will solve my problem and actually get me pregnant?  
     I didn't ask, I chickened out.

24. In each of the 3 cycles that I did a trigger shot my period came exactly 11 days after the injection leaving me with an LP of 10 days max.  Is that long enough?  
     No it's not long enough, that's called a Luteal Phase defect.  The corpus luteum that is left behind after the egg is released from the follicle is not producing enough progesterone to prevent the lining of the uterus from shedding.

25. Should I be on a progesterone supplement after the surgery?  
     Yes, we will add that into my cycle in January.

No comments:

Post a Comment