Thursday, August 30, 2012

The Protocol

I went to the clinic this morning and met with my nurse.

My nurse.

Yes I have a dedicated nurse at the clinic for my IVF cycle.  Lets call her Red. She is who I call if I have any questions about my cycle.  Of course she doesn't work 7 days/week, but there will be other nurses who would be able to answer too.  It will be nice to have a constant nurse through this process who is there looking out for me in addition to my RE.  I can call and talk to Red but I can't call and talk to the RE.

After the usual u/s and blood work, Red came in and when over how the IVF cycle works.

Starting tonight (in about 20 min) I take the Birth Control Pill (BCP) every night until September 14th. 

Three days before I finish the BCP, I also start taking a drug called Suprefact.  The purpose of the Suprefact is to ensure that my own hormones stay suppressed and won't interfere with the what the drugs are doing.  This is an injection that I have to do every morning until they tell me to stop (probably around retrieval)

Once I stop taking the BCP I will get another period. On September 20th I will add in the stimulating drugs.  There are two, both injections. (If you are keeping track, that's 3 injections per day!!!)  The first is the same drug as I've used for both of the failed IUI's and the other is a micro-dose of hCG.  The micro-dose hCG is intended to improve egg quality.

My next appointment is September 25th and at that point I should be able to start seeing growth.  I'll go back in every other day for a few times and then every day until retrieval.  Retrieval is expected to be in the first week of October.

I'm nervous and excited and scared and happy and and and.... all at the same time!

1 comment:

  1. Focus on the excitement! Love you guys oh so much and please keep updated on developments xoxo

    ReplyDelete