Monday, July 13, 2009

At a loss for words

My first job in my field came with a really amazing boss, Mr. Ken. We used to fly paper airplanes between our offices and giggle like school girls when the documents we were reading said erection when refering to erecting a tower. Since I quit, we have tried keeping in touch, emailing back and forth a few times a year to see how everyone's doing. The other day he found me on facebook and the first thing he says is Hey Ms. Erin, how is life treating you?


How exactly do I answer that? On one hand life is great. I am in love with an amazing guy, we bought a townhouse and are getting married in less than two monts. On the other hand, life sucks. The amazing guy I am in love with is incredibly sick and may be required to have surgery.


So when I answer, do I leave out the bad? Do people really want an honest answer then they ask how you are, or are they happier to hear that everyone is well? Lately I have answered honestly where ever possible. At my last shower, I made a point of telling people that the wedding plans were going so-so because D's health was touch and go. I wonder if they felt I was bringing the spirit of the occasion down. I feel bad for doing that, but also feel bad for denying my feelings if I pretend that everything is peachy keen.

No comments:

Post a Comment