Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Canadian Infertility Awareness Week

May 20 to May 26 is Canadian Infertility Awareness Week (CIAW).

I know that 1 in 6 Canadian couples will experience infertility. 

And I know that I know more than 6 couples.

So why does it feel like I'm alone?

(not all the time)

I know that I'm not.

I know 4 other couples that have also experienced infertility.

Past and present.

2 of them adopted.

They are now divorced.

1 has two beautiful children conceived naturally after 10 years of trying.

10 years.

Ten. Years.

And 1, like me, who is still struggling.

So why does it feel like I'm alone?

I'm not.

It's just that nobody talks about it.

I don't talk about it (anymore).

It's private.

And yet I'm seriously airing it all on Facebook.

I've already changed my profile pic.

I doubt anyone will open the full picture to find out what it's about.

I am trying to gather the courage to post this video.

Maybe my courage will help my friends?

Maybe I will be judged.

Maybe I will be pitied.

Maybe I will be avoided.

Maybe I will be loved.

I look at some couples I know.

They have been married for years.

Yet they also don't have children.

Is it by choice?

Or do they feel as alone as me?

There is still 3 days left in CIAW.

I still have time.

1 comment:

  1. You are not alone. I have several other friends going through different stages of infertility treatment. It is heart breaking for all of them, but you are right, many don't talk about it. I love you you are so brave. xo

    ReplyDelete