Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Rain rain go away...

It's a rainy morning here in Ontario, but you know what they say - April showers bring May flowers! 

Well, not exactly...  Actually, I don't believe that for a second.  

Spring is my least favourite season. I know, I know, people are supposed to like spring. Yes, it does bring to mind Easter and baby chicks and tulips and the re-birth of everything that went dormant in the fall... and I like all of that and those thoughts do make me happy. However, along with all of that comes the seemingly never ending rain. It's always dark out, it's still cold, my hair goes frizzy and the freshly thawed ground turns to mush.

April showers bring May flowers?

I think spring and I could get along if it really only lasted a month, but around here it seems go on for more than 2 starting in April and not really ending until the middle to end of June sometime. Spring seems to have come early this year, it started warming up a couple of weeks ago. All of the snow is now gone from the ground and in its place is 5 months worth of road sand and dog poop. There are many streets that look like they don't even have grass along the road because it is completely covered in dirt and our yard is one giant toilet.  

We moved into our house at the end of last May, so we have not really experienced spring there, but I am not looking forward to the amount of mud that the dog will track into the house now that the ground had thawed and the rain started. Is there some variety of grass that will grow without sun and with all the abuse that the dog puts it through that can keep the mud outside where it belongs?

People are quick to remind me when I express my disdain for all things spring, that it's better than the snow storms. I disagree. After the rain all that's left behind is mud. Dirty dirty mud. Mud that gets all over the car, in the car, in the house, all over the dog and it's ugly, it's brown, everything is brown, the trees are still brown, the ground is brown, my white carpet turns brown. Brown, brown, brown and dirty. But after a snow storm, the world sparkles. Everything is blanketed in a clean white sheet and the trees are decorated with white ribbons and when the dog rolls around in the snow I don't have to take him home for a bath.

My dog hates having a bath.  In fact, he thinks I must be torturing him.  My scaredy-Jak is afraid of all things water.  A bath, the rain, the lake, it doesn't matter, it is scary.  This morning when I let him out to do his business, I opened the door, he stuck his nose out and took a step back.  Do you really think that I am going to go out there and get wet?  What are you, crazy?!? I'm not going out there!* Eventually he will go outside, but if he could cross his legs for the next 2 months, I know he would to avoid the rain.

As I finish this post the sun is peeking through the rain clouds and I finally see it.  I see the silver lining. The hope that comes along with all this muckyness. Summer is coming, it's right around the corner.  I just wish it would hurry up already!

*now that I have started this blog, I am going to have to start to take more pictures of him and his "you have got to be kidding me lady" expressions.



No comments:

Post a Comment