Thursday, October 25, 2012

Beta

4 weeks 6 days

Three days ago I had my first blood test (called a beta test) to confirm this pregnancy!

I was so excited to get that phone call from the clinic to tell me that I am in fact officially pregnant.

The beta level on Monday was 489.7.  This is an excellent number, not too high, not too low.  A low number (below 100) would be worrisome as that could mean the pregnancy wasn't viable or not progressing.  A really high number (over 1500) could be evidence of twins or it could also be evidence of an ectopic pregnancy (pregnancy in the fallopian tube).  Yes, even with IVF it is possible to still have an ectopic pregnancy, although it is rare. The nurse asked me to come back in on Wednesday for a second test to make sure the beta levels are rising appropriately. Ideally, beta levels will double in 48 hours.

Yesterday I went in for a 2nd test. The results were 899.  The test was taken exactly 48 hours after the first one, but it didn't quite double.  They were looking for results closer to 1000 (489.7 x 2 = 979.4). 

It may not be anything to worry about, but I am.  According to what I've read and from what other people have experienced it could be nothing, everyone is a little different and every one's levels increase at different rates.  I was only off by 80.4, but I just don't know what to think.

I'm going in again tomorrow morning for another test. I've been trying to keep busy and occupied last night and today so I don't worry too much about tomorrow. 

The good news is that my symptoms have continued to increase.  I've never been so excited to feel like crap!  The morning (all day) sickness is starting, and I'm completely exhausted all the time.  I attended a training workshop today and fell asleep during the presentation and again in the car on the way back (no I wasn't driving!!) and then had a nap for about an hour once I got home. 

Now I'm off to bed.

Wish me luck tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. Been obsessively checking your blog. Thanks for updating last night :) HURRAY for morning sickness. Message me or something today after your apt if you have time, or else update quickly here cause I am wishing you all the luck in the universe xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete