Friday, October 5, 2012

Retrieval

CD16~18

Yesterday was a really busy day getting everything at work ready for me to take a week and a day off.  Work is busy right now so that was a little difficult.  Earlier this week I had to go to my boss and move my vacation from Wednesday to Friday.  He looked at me a little funny so I explained that I was having a procedure and it kept getting pushed back.  He agreed to move my vacation but said "I'm rather to change things around for people who are going on vacation, not staying in a hospital... that's not a fun time off"  Then yesterday when I handed in my time sheet (it was due today) he came back to me and said "now you have me confused... I thought you said this was for medical reasons, why are you using vacation days??"  So I had to explain that yes, it was for medical reasons, it's two procedures a few days apart but I wanted to make sure I had plenty of time around each day to relax so I'm using vacation.  What I didn't tell him is that I didn't want to have to get a Dr.'s note in order to get that much time off.  The note would have had the name of the FC on the letterhead and that would have given me away.

Last night before bed I took an Ativan to help me sleep.  I was surprised that it also took a bunch of the pain/uncomfortableness away that I was feeling in my tummy as well it was nice.  It wore off about 4 am and I woke up when the pains came back. Boo.

We got to the clinic around 8:00 am and since we were a little early we went for a drive to get some ginger ale and Gatorade for afterward before going to wait in the waiting room.  We were only waiting for a few minutes until the nurse came to get us.  She brought with her a brown paper bag containing an empty bottle for D to leave his sample in and directed him to the collection room and I was brought back to a different area to get changed.

I put on two hospital gowns; one forward and one backward so that I was completely covered and I was allowed to keep my socks (Yay! - my feet are always cold so I was happy I could keep my socks).  Just as I was getting set up for my IV, D was brought back to me.  The IV went in without a hitch and they started the saline.  A few min later they took me to the washroom before going to the procedure room.

Once in the procedure room, they set my legs up in stirrups.  She kept asking if I was comfortable... no I'm not comfortable!  My legs are twisting out at odd angles and you have a direct view of my vag! But I have no pain so I consider that as 'comfortable' as I'm going to get.  They then gave me two different drugs in my IV line and that's when things start to get blurry.

I could still feel most of the needle sticks as they were poking around my ovaries and even through the drugs they gave me, it still hurt and I turned into a big ball of wimp and started crying.  Part of it was that it hurt, but the other part was just the emotional aspect of it.  They upped my drugs part way through, but the procedure was so quick that they didn't really take into effect until after it was over so by then I could hardly get up off the table and I was sleeping in the recovery room instead of getting ready to go.

We got home around11:30 and I've been sleeping on and off ever since.  At one point I attempted to text my friends to let them know I was fine and the results but I was so out of it couldn't figure out how to send the text!  It was hours later after I woke up from a nap that I thought it was strange that none of them had texted back and I went looking for the text in my sent items and it wasn't there!  It took another 20 min or so to figure it out!

Overall, today was a success and they retrieved 12 eggs. - A perfect number!

I will get a phone call tomorrow to let me know how many of those 12 are mature and now many fertilized.  Fingers crossed we don't loose too many over night.

No comments:

Post a Comment